The following recipe for forest berry parfait comes from Barclay Heights Bed & Breakfast at Smythe House in Saugerties, New York. Pictured to the right is innkeeper and chef David Smythe, who serves mostly organic and local breakfasts. Guests enjoy breakfast in a cafe-style dining Room with view of Catskill Mountains. According to him, "This easy, healthy, delicious, and eye-appealing breakfast will wow your breakfast companion."
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup organic vanilla or plain yogurt
- 6 strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 dozen raspberries
- 1 dozen blackberries
- 2 wine glasses or champagne flutes
- 2 ice tea spoons (silver best)
- 2 paper doilies (small)
- 2 elegant small plates
1. Wash all berries gently, reserve for assembly. For garnish, reserve two of each of the best strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. Trim the green tops from the remaining strawberries and slice from top to bottom into uniform slices, reserve.
2. In each glass, first place a few of each berry, then add with a tablespoon a layer of yogurt, place a row of sliced strawberries along the inside of the glass, creating a visually appealing ring of strawberry slices. Add a second layer of fresh berries, and top with a second layer of yogurt. The exact order of berries and yogurt is not important; have fun with it and enjoy.
3. Top the parfait with a few carefully placed berries on the yogurt as garnish. Place the doilies on the elegant small plates, place the parfait glasses on the doilies, place a silver ice-tea spoon on the plate next to glass, finish with the addition of a whole strawberry (with green top) next to the spoon.