This decadent breakfast recipe comes from The Craftsman Bed & Breakfast in Pacific City, Oregon. It's the B&B's signature breakfast dish. According to the innkeepers, "A popular New Orleans dish, it combines bananas, vanilla ice cream, rum, butter and sugar. Our version excludes the rum and ice cream, but we add pecans." Enjoy!
Prep time: 40 minutes
- 8 Slices French toast bread or Texas toast
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 banana, sliced 1/8" thick
- 1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cube in 1/4" pieces
- Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prep 2 9x13 baking dishes with butter-flavored Pam.
2. For batter, beat eggs smooth and add milk, cinnamon, and vanilla.
3. Dip 4 slices of bread in batter, coating both sides, and place in baking dishes. Place sliced bananas, covering bread. Cover with brown sugar, sprinkle with pecans and dot with butter pieces. Dip the remaining bread in batter, coating both sides and place on top.
4. Bake for 25 minutes. Cut diagonally and dust with powdered sugar.