Want to make a unique homemade treat? Try this scone recipe from the innkeepers at B Street House Bed & Breakfast in Virginia City, Nevada. This B&B with Old West elegance has three guest rooms that have period furniture and private baths. The inn offers a full gourmet breakfast in the parlor, free WiFi, afternoon tea time, gardens, and a library. Enjoy!
Triple Almond Scones
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup almond meal/flour or very finely chopped almonds (use food processor to grind into flour consistency)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (one stick) cold butter
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds for topping
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Put flours, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar in medium mixing bowl and stir together. Add butter in chunks and cut in with pastry cutter.
2. Mix together the wet ingredients and add them to the flour mixture. Mix well and add almonds and knead together for 10 or 12 turns until mixture is well-mixed.
3. Put in scone pan that holds 8 triangular shaped large scones. Top with the sliced almonds.
4. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until tops of sliced almonds are golden brown and scone is baked through. Cool slightly and remove from pan. Serve warm. Makes 8 large triangular scones.