23. May 2012 10:04
The following recipe for Louisiana Cheddar Biscuit Ya Ya comes from Avenue Inn Bed and Breakfast in New Orleans, Louisiana. This turn-of-the-century home is at the edge of the Garden District on the historic St. Charles Ave streetcar line.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups self-rising sifted flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Chef Paul Prudhommes Vegetable Magic Seasoning
- 3/4 cup milk
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large bowl add flour, cheese and seasoning, mix well. Cut shortening into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in enough milk to form a soft dough or until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
3. Turn dough onto lightly floured board or pastry cloth; knead just until smooth. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness; cut with floured 2-inch round cutter (a correct-sized juice glass will do in a pinch).
4. Place biscuits, just touching each other on an ungreased baking sheet (a little cooking spray wouldn't hurt, however). Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 12-14 biscuits
By Emily Starbuck Crone