13. July 2012 16:32
Bored with breakfast? Try this tasty recipe from the innkeepers at Forty Putney, a Diamond Collection B&B in Brattleboro, Vermont. All guests here enjoy a gourmet two-course breakfast. Even better, the hip innkeepers are self-professed beer geeks, and the inn has its own on-site pub that serves over 30 local craft beers.
1 C - All-purpose bleached flour (softer than unbleached flour)
2 t Sugar
½ t Salt
½ t powder
¾ c Buttermilk
¼ c Milk
1 Large egg
2 T Unsalted butter melted
1 t Vanilla extract
¾ C Sliced almonds
1 T Amaretto
¼ t Almond extract
½ C Vermont medium amber grade A maple syrup
¼ C Sliced almonds
1. Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle to 375 degrees.
2. Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, sliced almonds and baking soda in a medium bowl. Microwave buttermilk and milk in a bowl to get to room temperature. Whisk in egg, butter and vanilla.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients until just barely mixed to the point of no lumps.
4. Pour batter ¼ cup at a time. Work in batches to avoid overcrowding. When pancake bottoms are golden brown and the tops start to bubble (2-3 minutes) flip the pancake and cook until golden brown on the remaining side.
5. Combine almond extract and syrup and microwave for 45 seconds. Serve hot. Garnish pancakes with sliced almonds.
By Emily Starbuck Crone