11. January 2012 12:44
The following recipe is from Auberge on the Vineyard, a romantic bed and breakfast in Cloverdale, California. It's an ideal home base for exploring the Sonoma and Mendocino wine countries. This is the perfect recipe for your own wine and cheese party!
Prep time: 15 min.
- Whole-round oz. brie
- Peeled, chopped apple
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Coarsely chop apple with food chopper. Combine apple, almonds, cranberries, brown sugar, and cinnamon in small batter bowl; mix gently. Stir in butter just until ingredients are moistened.
2. Cut brie in half horizontally, using utility knife. Place 1/2 of Brie, rind side down, on small baking sheet. Spoon half of the apple mixture onto bottom half of Brie, spreading evenly. Top with remaining half of Brie, rind side up. Spoon remaining apple mixture over top.
3. Bake 12-15 minutes or until cheese is soft and just begins to melt. Serve with toasted French bread, sliced apple wedges, or fancy crackers.
29. December 2011 16:11
The following photo is of the private porch of the Spring Room at The Craftsman Inn in Calistoga, California. This Wine Country inn is just steps to great spas, wonderful restaurants, and interesting shopping in downtown Calistoga. Many of Napa’s best wineries surround the town, and a short drive will take you to the Sonoma, Russian River, and Alexander Valleys. Bring back a bottle of wine and enjoy it on your private porch.
31. October 2011 16:22
Wine Country Inn is a bed and breakfast located in Saint Helena, California. This Diamond Collection inn overlooks vineyards and hills in California's Napa wine country. There are 24 rooms and five guest cottages; some of these have private patios or balconies and fireplaces. The inn also has a heated swimming pool and whirlpool. To enhance further relaxation, the guest rooms do not have televisions.
This wonderful review was left for a stay at Wine Country Inn in July 2011.
"It's THE must-stay place in Napa!!!"
What a find!!! Not only are the gardens and surrounding vineyards GORGEOUS, but the room (cottage, actually) was BEYOND my expectation. And the service--the staff--is wonderful. Everyone is not nice because they have to be--they are genuinely good, nice, fun people! Don't miss the 4:30 p.m. wine tasting and appetizers in the "common room." The pool and jacuzzi are a dream, too. Make sure to wander around the gardens.
7. October 2011 16:01
Take a romantic getaway to California's Central Coast Wine Country and save!
High Ridge Manor Bed & Breakfast is a Diamond Collection bed and breakfast in Paso Robles, where you will enjoy beautiful views, delicious breakfasts, and afternoon hors de' ouvres. Every room has an oversized whirlpool tub.
The inn also has a pool. In addition to plenty of great wine to taste, the area also has great shopping.
Now through October 12, 2011, the inn is offering a third-night special. When you book a two-night stay at regular price, get your third night at only $150--a savings of $100! Call +1-805-226-2002 to book.
4. October 2011 16:20
The Farmhouse Inn is a Diamond Collection member in Forestville, California. This Sonoma County B&B makes the perfect romantic getaway. The 18 luxurious rooms feature a variety of amenities, such as fireplaces, whirlpool tubs, steam showers, or saunas. Below is a photo of a couple at The Farmhouse Inn enjoying the fireplace on the patio of one of the guest rooms.
16. September 2011 10:52
Old Crocker Inn is located on five acres overlooking California's Alexander Valley and the Russian River. All of the guest rooms have private entrances, private baths, featherbeds, fireplaces, air conditioning, TV/DVD/VCR, WiFi, and outside seating with beautiful views. This glowing review was left for a stay in June 2011.
"A+ All the Way"
We have have stayed at many B&Bs, and this one is as close to perfect as possible. The setting is beautiful, wonderful hosts, and a lovely room. On our current trip to California, everything went wrong except our stay at the Older Crocker Inn. I cannot say enough nice things about our hosts. They were friendly, kind, and accommodating. They could not have been more helpful. Breakfast was delicious and served in a lovely room. The coffee was great and plentiful. There is tremendous attention to every detail at this B&B. The sheets were soft and the bed was very comfortable. Even the basket of soaps and lotions in the room was special. There was a vast collection of DVDs for us and delicious cake and snacks in the main room. Our only regret is that we could not stay longer but we definitely hope to return. You cannot go wrong staying at this B&B.
19. August 2011 16:18
Old Thyme Inn is a cozy yet elegant Diamond Collection member in Half Moon Bay, California. For breakfast, guests enjoy farm-fresh eggs and organic local produce, specialty-grade coffee, and bread and cakes baked on-site. The inn also serves a complimentary evening wine and cheese reception. There are so many nearby activities and things to see; beaches, giant redwood trees, hiking, whale watching, birdwatching, horseback riding, golfing, biking, and more.
This review was left for a stay in June 2011.
I have stayed in B&B facilities in a good many countries. I have enjoyed in particular those where you feel a welcome guest in a home with a real sense of family. Even better are those which impart the local culture, but there are few in California with a sense of permanence and place that I would recommend to friends from abroad. The Old Thyme Inn, built in 1898 in historic Half Moon Bay, is its own destination. This is a quiet place where accommodation is not an afterthought but a purpose. Everywhere you look, it is obvious, this place was developed with decades of dedication, a continuous and abiding love of work, hospitality without intrusion, and kindness without fawning. From the coffee to the soap, from the herb garden to the dining music, from the table books to the depth of local information, from the beds to the plentiful artwork, there is an attention to detail here that makes it an outstanding accommodation, each feature thoughtfully executed for its specific purpose, not to impress but to please. Do enjoy your stay there. We really did.
16. August 2011 09:05
If you want an interesting twist on eggs for breakfast, try this recipe from McClelland Priest B&B Inn in Napa, California. This Diamond Collection inn is within easy walking distance to gourmet restaurants, shops, wine tastings, Uptown Theatre, and Napa Valley's Opera House.
Tuscan Egg Strata
- 8 eggs
- 8 cups 2% milk
- 24 pieces bread
- 4 cups cheese grated
- 12 pieces salami (optional)
- 24 tbls fresh salsa or olive bruschetta
- Sprinkle top with garlic parsley low salt
1. Spray bottom of baking dish. Line bottom of dish with 12 pieces of bread. Cut off crusts (I use good bread, such as sliced Italian, French or buttermilk).
2. Place one tbls of shredded cheese over each piece of bread. Place one tbls of fresh salsa, or olive bruschetta over cheese and sprinkle garlic, parsley low salt over each piece of bread, cheese, and salsa or olive portion.
3. Place second layer (12 pieces) of bread on top.
4. Mix eggs and milk in mixer and pour over layers.
5. Top each piece with a dollop of butter and bake at 375F for 45 minutes. Serve with a tbls of warm salsa or olive bruschetta and a fresh garnish of rosemary or oregano.
26. July 2011 09:26
The following is a recipe from McCaffrey House, a Diamond Collection B&B in Twain Harte, California. A full breakfast is served here every morning in the dining room. It is cooked by Stephanie McCaffrey, a master of the culinary arts, and served in a country-style setting. While eating, you will enjoy views of the forest, diverse birds, and wildlife. They are able to accommodate special dietary needs and times if you give advance notice.
The inn can also prepare a fresh, healthy picnic lunch for you upon request.
- 1 dozen eggs
- 2 cans of artichoke hearts for a total of 28 ounces
- 2 cups of cottage cheese
- 2 cups (handfuls) of Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 cup of a sweet salsa
- Butter to coat 8 ramekins
- Butter 8 ramekins or a 9x12 Pyrex dish
- Mix eggs in blender
- Add remaining ingredients
- Divide into ramekins or Pyrex dish and bake at 325F for 1 hour or until set.
12. July 2011 14:52
Mill Rose Inn is a peaceful B&B in Half Moon Bay, California. While it feels like a private retreat, it's easy walking distance to the ocean and the historic old town district of Half Moon Bay, which has many boutiques, galleries, and restaurants. Here is one of their favorite recipes!
Mill Rose Inn's Irresistible Cookies
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 5 cups chocolate chips
- 3 cups nuts
- 6 cups granola
1. Blend the below until creamy: butter, brown sugar, white sugar
2. Beat in the below until well mixed: eggs and vanilla
3. Sift and add: flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda
4. Stir in: chocolate chips, nuts, granola
5. Mix well and shape into golf-ball size and bake at 375F for 10 minutes.