21. June 2011 16:48
If you're in need of a first course, try this salad recipe from Applewood Inn Restaurant & Spa in Guerneville, CA. This Diamond Collection member sits along the Russian Riverand is surrounded by towering redwood trees, fruit orchards, and gardens. The inn has an acclaimed restaurant and is the perfect home base for exploring the nearby wineries.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 4 Gravenstine apples, peeled
- 1 cup walnut halves toasted in oven for 8 minutes at 350 degrees
- 7 Belgian endives
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup toasted walnut oil
- 1/2 cup chives chopped
- 1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
- Cut apples into 1-inch cubes and sprinkle with a little lemon juice. Cut the endives crosswise into 1-inch slices. Keep the cores; they are the best part.
- Toss the endives and apples with half the crumbled blue cheese, walnuts, chives, and another drizzle of walnut oil.
Blue Cheese Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 shallot, finely diced and soaked in 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 good shots of Tabasco sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup of buttermilk
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk vigorously until they are well combined.
- If too thick, add buttermilk. Seasoning can be adjusted to taste with salt, pepper, lemon juice or Tabasco.
1. June 2011 15:20
If you want a twist on regular French toast, try this recipe from Trinidad Bay Bed & Breakfast in Trinidad, California.
Prep time: 15
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) sourdough French bread loaf, cut into 24 (1/2-inch) slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 (12-ounce) jar orange marmalade
- 2 3/4 cups 1% or 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Spread softened butter on one side of each bread slice. Arrange 12 bread slices, buttered side down, slightly overlapping in a single layer in a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread marmalade evenly over bread; top with remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Combine milk and next four ingredients (through eggs), stirring with a whisk. Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate eight hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sprinkle casserole with walnuts. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
31. March 2011 12:23
Now through the month of April, enjoy major savings at Auberge On the Vineyard in Cloverdale, California. When you book three nights at this Diamond Collection B&B in April, only pay for two nights! You'll save 33% with this great deal in the California wine country.
More 150 wineries are within an hour’s driving distance from inn, including many in Sonoma County. The innkeepers are happy to set up private wine tastings for guests at wineries that require appointments. The property overlooks rolling vineyards and has seven guest rooms, some of which have two-person jetted tubs, private decks, and fireplaces.
To get this special deal, book online on their website and enter promo code sonoma.
21. March 2011 11:00
Travelers seeking relaxing ocean views will be in heaven at Trinidad Bay Bed and Breakfast in Trinidad, California. This photo is of the ocean view from the Trinity Alps room. Located on a bluff near the center of town, this property is the only historic B&B in Trinidad. It is within easy walking distance to hiking trails, beaches, and restaurants.
4. March 2011 11:30
Glendeven Inn Mendocino is a 6-acre farmstead overlooking the Pacific Ocean in the Mendocino area of California. Guests will also see llamas grazing in the meadows surrounding the inn. At this luxurious B&B, guests enjoy a three-course breakfast served in their rooms in addition to a complimentary wine and hors d'eouvres in the wine bar called Wine Barn[n]. The following is a review for a stay in January 2011.
My husband and I stayed here for our 10th anniversary and it could not have been more memorable. The grounds are perfectly manicured, creating an idyllic, romantic atmosphere. Our room had a fireplace, a four-poster bed and a walk-out balcony with a view of the ocean, pastures, and llamas. John (the owner) and his staff went out of their way to be helpful, gracious and accommodating. Daily breakfasts were delicious (homemade scones, fresh fruit and quiche) but the five-course dinner with wine pairing was the best I've had anywhere, and living in San Francisco, I'm no stranger to fine dining! Their knowledge and selection of local wines is unparalleled, and in the evenings they invite guests to their Wine Bar(n) for tastings before you head out to dinner or play. If you're looking to get away for a relaxing, refreshing, restorative B&B stay, then Gleneven is the place for you.
27. January 2011 13:19
Save 20% when you book a room now through the end of January at Ambrose Bierce House in Saint Helena, California.
This BedandBreakfast.com Diamond Collection property in the Napa Valley is within walking distance to shopping, a variety of dining, and the historic Beringer Vineyards. The B&B is an 1872 Victorian home with four guest rooms.
This offer applies to all rooms on all days. As always, the stay includes a full champagne breakfast and wine and cheeses each evening.
The regular nightly rate is $199, but you will save 20% and pay only $159.
25. January 2011 10:50
We're taking a break from the norm this week to feature a recipe for your furry friends. While there's nothing wrong with the doggie treats you find at the grocery store, why not surprise your pet with a homemade snack? This recipe comes courtesy of Casa Laguna Inn & Spa in Laguna Beach, California. Well-behaved, clean and healthy pets are welcome (with certain restriction) at this mission-style, hillside bed and breakfast. The innkeepers are happy to recommend a number of pet-friendly (outdoor patio) restaurants in additon to nearby dog parks and beaches.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered dry milk
- 6 tablespoons bacon renderings or other meat drippings
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup ice water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Combine flour, dry milk, salt, garlic powder, and sugar. Cut in meat drippings until mixture resembles corn meal. Mix in egg. Add enough water so that the mixture forms a ball.
3. Using your fingers, pat out dough onto cookie sheet to a half-inch thick. Cut with cookie cutter or knife and remove scraps. Scraps can be formed again and baked.
4. Bake 25-30 minutes. Turn off oven and cool on cookie sheet in oven until hard (approximately 1 hour). Store in airtight container.
7. January 2011 16:29
Take a getaway to Jamul, California and save! This 1890 Victorian mansion resides on six gated acres and offers amenities you would find at five-star hotels, such as a gym and health spa.
When you stay two weeknights (Sunday through Thursday) at Jamul Haven, a BedandBreakfast.com Diamond Collection member, get one night free!
It regularly costs $597 for three nights total, but you will pay just $398 for the whole stay. That's a savings of 33%!
Reserve your room by January 12 to get this great deal. You can book online or call 619-669-3100.
23. December 2010 10:02
When you stay at POSH Palm Springs in Palm Springs, California mid-week, you'll save major money! Book during the months of December, January, or February from Tuesday through Thursday evenings and take 20% off the regular seasonal rate. Pay $175 instead of the regular $219.
This 11-room Art Deco inn is located in the Uptown Art District section of Palm Springs in the historic "El Mirador" area. Within walking distance from downtown Palm Springs, the luxurious inn makes it easy to explore the area's great dining, shopping and cultural activities.
The requirement is that you must stay a minimum of two nights and it can't be combined with any other offers. You must call this number to book: 877-672-6825.
21. December 2010 11:13
This recipe comes courtesy of Churchill Manor, a BedandBreakfast.com Diamond Collection member in Napa, California. The innkeepers say this recipe is delicious served alone as an appetizer, but it's also great in a salad with gorgonzola cheese and sliced fresh pears. The 10-room B&B has 3,000 square feet of shared spaces, including an expansive front parlor, piano parlor, historic dining room, television parlor, and solarium. The inn also offers complimentary winery passes, bicycles, Wi-Fi, and a croquet court.
Prep time: 15 Minutes
- 4 cups pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or garlic-infused oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss well to cover evenly.
- Place pecans in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Roast 8 minutes.