Getting bored eating the same old thing for breakfast? Spice things up with this flavorful Mexican frittata recipe, courtesy of BedandBreakfast.com Diamond Collection property Rookwood Inn in Lenox, MA (pictured on right). It is their signature dish, and they serve it piping hot and accompanied with chorizo (mildly spicy Mexican sausage), salsa, corn bread, and fresh seasonal fruits.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 16 oz. egg substitute (egg white)
- 1 large, sweet onion - diced and sauteed
- 6 oz. mushrooms - chopped and sauteed
- 1 large red pepper - julienned and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 cups baked tortilla chips - crushed
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese - shredded
- Cumin, paprika, garlic powder, oregano and salt - to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix first 5 ingredients together and add spices.
3. Pour mixture into a 4-quart glass baking pan sprayed with Pam.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until mostly dry and puffed. Remove from oven.
5. Sprinkle cheese over top and place under broiler to melt cheese. Remove when melted and browned. Cut and serve with additional tortilla chips and salsa.