19. August 2011 16:18
Old Thyme Inn is a cozy yet elegant Diamond Collection member in Half Moon Bay, California. For breakfast, guests enjoy farm-fresh eggs and organic local produce, specialty-grade coffee, and bread and cakes baked on-site. The inn also serves a complimentary evening wine and cheese reception. There are so many nearby activities and things to see; beaches, giant redwood trees, hiking, whale watching, birdwatching, horseback riding, golfing, biking, and more.
This review was left for a stay in June 2011.
I have stayed in B&B facilities in a good many countries. I have enjoyed in particular those where you feel a welcome guest in a home with a real sense of family. Even better are those which impart the local culture, but there are few in California with a sense of permanence and place that I would recommend to friends from abroad. The Old Thyme Inn, built in 1898 in historic Half Moon Bay, is its own destination. This is a quiet place where accommodation is not an afterthought but a purpose. Everywhere you look, it is obvious, this place was developed with decades of dedication, a continuous and abiding love of work, hospitality without intrusion, and kindness without fawning. From the coffee to the soap, from the herb garden to the dining music, from the table books to the depth of local information, from the beds to the plentiful artwork, there is an attention to detail here that makes it an outstanding accommodation, each feature thoughtfully executed for its specific purpose, not to impress but to please. Do enjoy your stay there. We really did.
30. November 2010 09:36
Craving something sweet and crunchy? Bake this delicious fresh apple & cranberry crunch courtesy of Mill Rose Inn in in Half Moon Bay, CA. This BedandBreakfast.com Diamond Collection member is an intimate country retreat within walking distance from the ocean.
- 8 ripe apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 12 oz. bag fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely packed brown sugar
- 2 cups orange-almond granola
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 lb. butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Combine apple slices, cranberries, sugar, cinnamon, and 3 tablespoons flour. Place in a buttered 9”x13” baking dish.
2. In a mixing bowl combine brown sugar, oats, and 1 cup flour. Cut butter into small pieces with a pastry cutter. Sprinkle over apple/cranberry mixture.
3. Bake 45 minutes. Cut into squares before serving and top with crème fraiche or sour cream.