16. August 2011 09:05
If you want an interesting twist on eggs for breakfast, try this recipe from McClelland Priest B&B Inn in Napa, California. This Diamond Collection inn is within easy walking distance to gourmet restaurants, shops, wine tastings, Uptown Theatre, and Napa Valley's Opera House.
Tuscan Egg Strata
- 8 eggs
- 8 cups 2% milk
- 24 pieces bread
- 4 cups cheese grated
- 12 pieces salami (optional)
- 24 tbls fresh salsa or olive bruschetta
- Sprinkle top with garlic parsley low salt
1. Spray bottom of baking dish. Line bottom of dish with 12 pieces of bread. Cut off crusts (I use good bread, such as sliced Italian, French or buttermilk).
2. Place one tbls of shredded cheese over each piece of bread. Place one tbls of fresh salsa, or olive bruschetta over cheese and sprinkle garlic, parsley low salt over each piece of bread, cheese, and salsa or olive portion.
3. Place second layer (12 pieces) of bread on top.
4. Mix eggs and milk in mixer and pour over layers.
5. Top each piece with a dollop of butter and bake at 375F for 45 minutes. Serve with a tbls of warm salsa or olive bruschetta and a fresh garnish of rosemary or oregano.
11. August 2011 10:50
If you're hoping to take a getaway to Eastham, Massachusetts this summer, now is the time to book! Penny House Inn & Spa is running a summer special now through September 5, 2011, that will give you 33% off a stay there!
Rates are usually $215-$425 a night, but for this special, they are now $172-$281/night. (dependent on availability, time of year and length of stay).
This Outer-Cape inn is close to 10 beaches, shopping, gourmet restaurants, and nature trails. Many of the rooms here offer whirlpool baths for two and fireplaces. There are many on-site spa services you can get, such as massages and facials.
To get this special, call the B&B at +1-800-554-1751.
8. August 2011 15:54
Marshall Slocum Inn is a BedandBreakfast.com Diamond Collection property originally built in 1885. It has been renovated, yet its original Victorian character was preserved. The historic inn is located within walking distance of Newport Harbor, beaches, and Cliff Walk.
Guests at the Marshall Slocum Inn get to enjoy a fresh breakfast on the deck each morning. Below is a photo of their pancakes served along with fruit and juice.
29. July 2011 09:49
The Stonewall Jackson Inn is a restored mansion (circa 1885) in Harrisonburg, Virginia. It is a blend of traditional Queen Anne and a Stone and Shingled New England Cottage style architecture. It is located near historic Old Town Harrisonburg, and is just minutes from James Madison University. The inn is a short drive away from Shenandoah Valley attractions including the Skyline Drive, two national forests, and multiple Civil War sites. This Diamond Collection inn has 10 guest rooms, all with private baths.
The following review was for a stay this month, July 2011:
"Lovely rooms and great breakfast!"
A friend of mine and I stayed at the Stonewall Jackson Inn for one night in July 2011. Check-in was a breeze and the rooms were beautiful (I saw several of them through open doors as I was led to my room). The room was immaculately clean and everything was tidy and neat. If you forget any of your toiletries -- no worries, Wayne (the owner/innkeeper) makes sure you have everything you need! The bed was very comfortable and there was minimal noise from the busy road outside. The landscaping that has been done for this place is lovely! We sat outside under a cute wrought iron gazebo and enjoyed a glass of wine. The location of this bed and breakfast is perfect for strolling to the downtown area for dinner or drinks (about a 5-minute walk). The area was safe and we did not feel uncomfortable on our walk, even at 11:30 at night. After a good night's sleep, we woke up to a HUGE breakfast which included Wayne's twist on Eggs Benedict and hashbrowns (each dish using fresh herbs). The coffee was to die for! The staff was wonderful and if there was anything we needed, they catered to it. Overall, this is one of the best B&Bs I have ever stayed in. We will return!
26. July 2011 09:26
The following is a recipe from McCaffrey House, a Diamond Collection B&B in Twain Harte, California. A full breakfast is served here every morning in the dining room. It is cooked by Stephanie McCaffrey, a master of the culinary arts, and served in a country-style setting. While eating, you will enjoy views of the forest, diverse birds, and wildlife. They are able to accommodate special dietary needs and times if you give advance notice.
The inn can also prepare a fresh, healthy picnic lunch for you upon request.
- 1 dozen eggs
- 2 cans of artichoke hearts for a total of 28 ounces
- 2 cups of cottage cheese
- 2 cups (handfuls) of Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 cup of a sweet salsa
- Butter to coat 8 ramekins
- Butter 8 ramekins or a 9x12 Pyrex dish
- Mix eggs in blender
- Add remaining ingredients
- Divide into ramekins or Pyrex dish and bake at 325F for 1 hour or until set.
18. July 2011 16:26
While many of us enjoy trying a creative new dish, sometimes nothing sounds better for breakfast than a good ol' plate of pancakes. Below is a photo of Lee's Family Pancakes--a guest favorite at Palmer House Inn in Falmouth, MA. This Queen Anne style B&B in Cape Cod is in a quiet area of Falmouth's Historic District. The inn is close to beaches, shops, and great restaurants.
12. July 2011 14:52
Mill Rose Inn is a peaceful B&B in Half Moon Bay, California. While it feels like a private retreat, it's easy walking distance to the ocean and the historic old town district of Half Moon Bay, which has many boutiques, galleries, and restaurants. Here is one of their favorite recipes!
Mill Rose Inn's Irresistible Cookies
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 5 cups chocolate chips
- 3 cups nuts
- 6 cups granola
1. Blend the below until creamy: butter, brown sugar, white sugar
2. Beat in the below until well mixed: eggs and vanilla
3. Sift and add: flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda
4. Stir in: chocolate chips, nuts, granola
5. Mix well and shape into golf-ball size and bake at 375F for 10 minutes.
8. July 2011 16:43
Travelers seeking a Cape Cod getaway will save when they stay at The Whalewalk Inn and Spa, a romantic Diamond Collection B&B in Eastham, MA.
July Romantic Getaway special:
Book three nights in their romantic main inn Room 1 (pictured right) between now and July 28, and you will receive a 20% discount! This would normally cost $1,095 for this three-night stay, but you will pay $876.
As a guest here, you will enjoy a full gourmet breakfast at your own private table. Relax in your whirlpool tub for two or steam shower. Walk to two bay beaches or drive to Coast Guard Beach--rated as one of the top 10 best beaches in the US. In the evening, take advantage of their hors d'oeuvre hour or find a movie in their DVD library.
Call +1-800-440-1281 to book. This offer is for direct bookings only. Cannot be combined with any other offer.
27. June 2011 15:33
Brampton Bed & Breakfast is a luxurious Diamond Collection inn located in Chestertown, Maryland. The inn is located in a 19th century antebellum plantation on 20 acres. Their guest rooms have en-suite baths with two-person whirlpool tubs, body-jetted showers, steam showers, heated towel bars, and Japanese style ofuro soaking tubs.
The inn currently has an overall perfect rating on BedandBreakfast.com. The following review is from a stay in February 2011:
"What a perfect place to stay!"
We have returned again and again to the Brampton for nearly 20 years. When we need to slow down, to breathe deeply, to spend time with each other, we head to the Brampton. The historic house and the rooms (all different) are beautiful. The location is just out of town so very quiet, yet it is in a very historic part of Maryland, and close to numerous outdoor adventures. The innkeepers are warm, interesting and interested. Breakfast is a delicious feast. The Brampton is so special that it has spoiled us for anything else.
21. June 2011 16:48
If you're in need of a first course, try this salad recipe from Applewood Inn Restaurant & Spa in Guerneville, CA. This Diamond Collection member sits along the Russian Riverand is surrounded by towering redwood trees, fruit orchards, and gardens. The inn has an acclaimed restaurant and is the perfect home base for exploring the nearby wineries.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 4 Gravenstine apples, peeled
- 1 cup walnut halves toasted in oven for 8 minutes at 350 degrees
- 7 Belgian endives
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup toasted walnut oil
- 1/2 cup chives chopped
- 1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
- Cut apples into 1-inch cubes and sprinkle with a little lemon juice. Cut the endives crosswise into 1-inch slices. Keep the cores; they are the best part.
- Toss the endives and apples with half the crumbled blue cheese, walnuts, chives, and another drizzle of walnut oil.
Blue Cheese Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 shallot, finely diced and soaked in 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 good shots of Tabasco sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup of buttermilk
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk vigorously until they are well combined.
- If too thick, add buttermilk. Seasoning can be adjusted to taste with salt, pepper, lemon juice or Tabasco.