This delicious recipe comes from Albemarle Inn in Asheville, North Carolina. This BedandBreakfast.com Diamond Collection property is located in a majestic century-old Greek Revival mansion, framed by lush gardens.
Prep time: 30 minutes
For French toast:
- 1 1/2 french bread loaves
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/3 8 oz package cream cheese
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- Fresh-grated orange rind of 1 1/2 oranges
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- Freshly-grated nutmeg
1. Soften cream cheese; add ricotta, orange rind and marmalade. Spread cheese mixture onto a slice of bread and top with another slice.
2. Dip in egg mixture: beat 8 eggs with a wire whisk; add 1/2 cup of milk and a dash of nutmeg.
3. Place dipped slices on griddle and fry until brown on both sides.
4. Serve with orange sauce, slice of peeled orange, mint leaf, and fresh strawberry.
For orange sauce:
- 3/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest or dried lemon bits
- Splash of Triple Sec
Instructions: Combine juice concentrate, lemon, Triple Sec and sugar in small sauce pan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Slowly add butter a few chunks at a time, whisking until melted in. Do not boil. Cool slightly. Makes 1 1/4 cups
By Emily Starbuck Crone