14. December 2010 11:21
This delicious breakfast recipe for sweet potato pancakes is courtesy of King's Cottage in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. This BedandBreakfast.com Diamond Collection B&B is located in Amish Country, and it makes a great home base for exploring nearby historic sites, entertainment, Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine, art galleries, and more.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs separated
- Two 16 oz. cans cups mashed sweet potatoes (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans divided into 1/4 cup portions
1. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Lightly beat the egg yolks. Combine egg yolks, milk, sugar, oil and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture. Stir until smooth.
3. Stir in sweet potatoes and ¼ cup of the pecans. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter.
4. Heat non-stick griddle to 350-375F. Melt some butter and brush in swirling pattern on the griddle. (This creates an interesting pattern on the pancakes.) Pour about ¼ cup batter onto the buttered areas of the griddle. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.
5. Sprinkle pancakes with the remaining pecans. Serve with orange slices to garnish. Three pancakes per serving.
24. November 2010 10:57
Need some R&R with the one you love? Purchase the couples spa package at The French Manor Inn & Spa in South Sterling, PA.
This package includes the following:
- One-night stay in a luxurious suite with fireplace and whirlpool tub for two (some with private balcony based on availability)
- $100 per person spa credit per day to enjoy at their new Green Spa - Le Spa Foret (they suggest a one-hour couples massage or facial in the romantic couples treatment room with a fireplace)
- A welcome fruit and cheese plate with a decanter of sherry in your room or suite upon arrival
- A gourmet breakfast for two in the morning
This normally costs $575, but with this deal, enjoy it for a lot less! Rates start from only $391.00 per couple midweek and $449.50 on the weekend.
Rates listed above are per couple and based on double occupancy in any suite. Call 877-720-6090 for reservations.