This rich quiche recipe comes from Holualoa Inn in Holualoa, Hawaii. This BedandBreakfast.com Diamond Collection property is a tropical paradise, with 30 acres of tropical fruit, flower gardens, and Kona coffee trees, in addition to stunning views of the Pacific Ocean. It's an open air plantation-style property that features a custom-tiled mosaic pool.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 6 ounces strong blue cheese ( Roquefort or Stilton)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 pie crust
1. Pre-bake pie crust the day before on 350F for 15 minutes (until light brown).
2. Prep for the morning cook. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook gently for 8-10 minutes, or until translucent. Raise heat to medium, add sugar and cook for 5-10 minutes longer, until onions are golden brown and sweet. Add wine and cook until onions are soft and liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet; place in bowl covered partially with plastic wrap. Place in fridge for morning.
3. In same skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until spinach is dry when pressed with the back of a spoon. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from skillet; place in bowl covered partially with plastic wrap. Place in fridge for morning.
4. Combine blue cheese and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring until cheese is melted and combined (DO NOT BOIL). Put saucepan directly in refrigerator for morning.
5. In the morning: Add eggs to the cream and blue cheese mixture, and mix well. Put onions then spinach in crust; smooth surface, but do not pack down. Pour cream egg mixture over ingredients in crust. Bake for 45-60 minutes until center is set.