22. March 2011 09:58
Guests at Casa de Solana in St. Augustine, Florida enjoy a complimentary large Southern breakfast. You can eat it in the colorful dining room (pictured below), in the courtyard, or your room. The inn is in the heart of the city's historic district and combines English and Spanish style.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- French or Italian bread, 1-2 loafs
- 16-oz. bag of frozen peaches (can use fresh peaches if available, but frozen ones hold their shape better)
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp or more cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups milk
1. Cut French or Italian Bread into slices. Spray 9x13 dish with cooking spray. Add layer of bread and a layer of peaches. Layer on bread and then break an 8-oz. bar of cream cheese into peices and layer in voids of the peaches. Once completed, add another layer of the bread.
2. Mix eggs, ginger powder, nutmeg, cinnamon (to taste), brown sugar, and milk. Once mixed, pour over dish. Soak overnight for best result.
3. Cook at 350 for 45-60 minutes depending on how golden brown your preference is. This will puff up and will take 10-20 minutes to cool before cutting.
4. Optional icing: Mix softened cream cheese (not much) with powdered sugar (to taste) and milk. Leave it on the runny side and drizzle over the casserole. Have fun and enjoy!