This recipe comes from Chef Gary at St. Francis Inn in Saint Augustine, FL. The BedandBreakfast.com Diamond Collection inn sits in the restored historic district of the nation's oldest city. Guests can borrow bicycles for free to explore the area, and many great attractions are within walking distance. All of the rooms are very unique, and some have fireplaces, whirlpool tubs, balconies, and mini-refrigerators.
- One 15 oz. can of Mandarin oranges in light syrup
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon frozen concentrated orange juice
- 2 cups buttermilk pancake mix
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- Zest from 1 orange
1. Heat oranges, juice, sugar and vanilla over medium to high heat.
2. In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water. When orange mixture comes to a boil, stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook stirring constantly until thick. Keep warm and set aside--this is your Mandarin orange sauce to pour over your pancakes.
3. For your citrus pancakes, mix together the buttermilk pancake mix, orange juice, water, and zest. Drop by spoonfuls on heated griddle. Flip when bubbles begin to break. Remove when bottom is browned and pancakes have puffed.
4. Serve with warm Mandarin orange sauce and enjoy!