26. March 2012 15:39
Not sure what's in your sausage? Make your own! The following recipe for homemade turkey sausage comes from Reynolds Mansion B&B in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania. The three-story historic mansion has six spacious guest rooms. It has an overall perfect rating on BedandBreakfast.com.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 package ground turkey
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1. Cut 4-inch squares of wax paper - approximately 16 squares
2. Mix all ingredients together very thoroughly by hand. Roll mixture into approximately 2-inch balls. Place each ball in the center of a wax paper square. Cover the ball with another piece of wax paper and flatten into a patty. Stack the patties 4 high and be sure to cover the top patty with wax paper square.
3. Put the patties in a resealable freezer bag and freeze.
4. To cook: Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place over medium-high heat. Unwrap frozen patties (no need to thaw) and place in skillet. Cook patties 6 minutes on each side until no longer pink inside. (Do not overcook or they will be dry).
5. Serve with multigrain muffin, egg whites, and fat-free American cheese for a healthy egg sandwich.
By Emily Starbuck Crone