If you want a twist on regular French toast, try this recipe from Trinidad Bay Bed & Breakfast in Trinidad, California.
Prep time: 15
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) sourdough French bread loaf, cut into 24 (1/2-inch) slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 (12-ounce) jar orange marmalade
- 2 3/4 cups 1% or 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Spread softened butter on one side of each bread slice. Arrange 12 bread slices, buttered side down, slightly overlapping in a single layer in a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread marmalade evenly over bread; top with remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Combine milk and next four ingredients (through eggs), stirring with a whisk. Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate eight hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sprinkle casserole with walnuts. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.