We were already on a roll with our Breakfast Recipe Challenge, so we decided to survey travelers to learn about their breakfast preferences. Nearly 1,100 travelers completed our survey. Here are the takeaways that you may enjoy learning about!
- There was a near tie for the favorite meal of the day. We found that 45% of travelers enjoy breakfast the most, while a close 44% selected dinner as their favorite. Only 11% say lunch is their favorite meal.
- A whopping 72% of travelers prefer their breakfasts to be savory, while 28% prefer theirs sweet.
- When it came to specifics, we found the All-American (bacon and eggs) breakfast was the unquestioned favorite, with 47% of the votes. Carb loaders (pancakes, waffles, bagels) and Health Fanatics (fruit, yogurt, granola) were near ties for next-favorite breakfast, with each representing approximately 24% of responses. Just Like A Kid (hot or cold cereals) and Fit Foodies (protein shakes or smoothies) represent only 2-3% of responses.
- In regards to the size of the meal, 63% like a breakfast that will keep them satisfied, while 30% count on a breakfast large enough that they can skip lunch if necessary. We were happy to learn that only 7% usually skip breakfast!
- On the weekends, 59% of travelers prefer eating brunch rather than a regular early breakfast.
- Only 29% of travelers want their coffee black. The rest want milk or cream.
- If offered a choice of juice or milk, 76% prefer juice.
- When asked their favorite way to eat eggs, 33% said baked in an omelet or casserole, 30% said over easy or sunny side up, 25% go for scrambled, and a mere 12% opt for poached.
- If eating toast, 55% of travelers say they want butter on it, while 45% said they want jam.
- We asked if they would consider eating fish, such as lox, for breakfast, and 63% said no.
Here is the infographic we submitted to the media:
Do any of these findings surprise you?
By Emily Starbuck Crone