This recipe for winter squash soup comes from L'Auberge Provencale in White Post, VA.
- 2 lb squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 lb potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 clove garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a 6-quart pot, saute leeks, onion, and garlic in butter over medium heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add squash, potato, nutmeg, and chicken stock. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
3. In a blender, puree the soup. Strain, and return to pot.
4. Add cream and gently heat.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
By Emily Starbuck Crone