The following recipe for Summer Veggie Pie is from Joshua Grindle Inn in Mendocino, CA.
"More often these days we have guests who are abstaining from animal products. We've been very careful to eliminate meat from all of our dishes, but this request is a little more challenging since we rely so much on milk and eggs in our recipes. However, we have found that this quiche is so creamy, tangy and satisfying that no one seems to notice that it is not a traditional quiche." -- Cindy & Charles Reinhart, Innkeepers
Prep time: 1.5 hours
- 13 oz frozen shredded potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus extra for sauteeing vegetables and oiling baking pan
- 1 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained*
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- paprika to taste
1. Oil a glass pie plate and distribute potatoes over bottom of pan. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned.
2. Spread softened potatoes evenly over bottom and sides of pans. Saute green onions, yellow onions and garlic in oil until tender.
3. Add broccoli, zucchini and mushrooms and saute until tender. Drain well and place in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
4. In food processor, blend tofu, oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and flour until very smooth. Add to vegetable mixture and mix well.
5. Spread mixture evenly into the pie plate. Sprinkle top with paprika. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until firm and lightly browned on top.
* If you've never cooked tofu before, click here for tips!
By Emily Starbuck Crone