27. January 2012 16:48
This recipe for raspberry almond muffins is a favorite from Yates House B&B in Rocheport, Missouri. Innkeeper Dixie Yates is pictured to the right in her kitchen. She has written a cookbook, "Yates House Favorites," and has appeared in numerous publications, such as Southern Living, Midwest Living, USA Today, and Sauce Magazine. The Diamond Collection property is a great base for Missouri River valley wine touring and antiquing.
Prep time:1 hour
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons almond paste
- vegetable cooking spray
- 5 tablespoons raspberry jam
1) Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl. Set aside.
2) Cream butter, almond paste, and sugar with electric mixer on medium high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1/2 dry ingredients. Beat in 1/3 of yogurt. Beat in remaining dry ingredients alternating with yogurt until all incorporated.
3) Spray 12 muffin cups with vegetable spray, spoon 1/2 portion of batter into each cup. With small spoon, make a well in center of each cup of dough. Spoon 1-11/2 teaspoons raspberry jam into each well. Fill with remaining batter. Bake until muffins are golden brown, 25-30 minutes.
24. January 2012 16:54
Escape to Cheshire Cat Inn, a bed and breakfast in Santa Barbara, California, for a foodie getaway. Book a two-night stay from Tuesday through Thursday and enjoy gastronomic delight! The special costs only $430 per couple (plus tax).
This package includes:
- A two-night stay
- Afternoon wine and hors d’oeuvres
- A buffet breakfast daily
- Lunch at Louie’s, located in the beautiful historic Upham hotel
- Dinner at renowned Downeys, a local favorite
Between all of the delicious dining, be sure to sample some of the wines at East Beach Wine, which is within walking distance.
Book by March 29, 2012, to get this offer. Call 1-805-569-1610 to make your reservation!
This offer is available Tuesday-Thursday. It excludes holiday periods and is subject to availability. Surcharge for Jacuzzi rooms, balcony rooms, and cottages.
19. January 2012 15:56
The Jabberwock Inn is a Diamond Collection property located in Monterey, California with an overall perfect rating on BedandBreakfast.com. The Craftsman-style B&B is located on a half-acre of gardens and has stunning views of Monterey Bay with its famous barking seals.
This review had a perfect rating and was left for a stay in November 2011.
"Finding Zen through the looking glass"
It should be enough just to say that this was our eighth stay at the Jabberwock! But to give a little more detail, my wife and I honeymooned here and we return every year to 'exhale' and reflect on our year together. Monterey is very special to us in itself but the one year we didn't stay here for 'our retreat,' it just wasn't the same. We have come to love our time spent with John and Dawn in their home and they have truly become like family to us. We look forward to seeing them again next year!
17. January 2012 15:34
We're excited to announce that The Diamond Collection has expanded to Canada! Our first member is Trout Point Lodge of Nova Scotia, located in East Kemptville, Nova Scotia. This eco-lodge is located on a 100-acre wooded estate that borders the Tobeatic Wilderness Area and the Tusket and Napier Rivers. Area activities include canoeing, kayaking, stargazing, mountain biking, swimming, hiking, and cooking lessons. You can also relax in an outdoor barrel sauna and wood-fired hot tub. You'll enjoy plentiful natural beauty, peace, and quiet.
Here are some of the reviews left by travelers for stays here:
September 2011: Hidden Treasure!
Trout Point Lodge offers a level of service, detail and setting that is glaringly absent in this province...The food was lovingly prepared and presented; the employees were friendly, ever-present, and helpful. Trout Point Lodge deserves all the accolades it gets.
August 2011: Authentic Canadian Wilderness Lodge
Saw Trout Point listed in Men's Journal for being the best in backwoods luxury--and it proved true. This is an authentic log lodge inserted into pristine river country. Great food and really, really friendly and helpful staff.
June 2011: Planning on Returning!
This stay was the highlight of our Atlantic Canada summer vacation in 2011. Relaxation, great energy and great food just about sums it up. Don't expect a frilly B&B--this is really what you imagine a forest lodge is all about.
13. January 2012 16:49
Tradewinds Carmel is a chic boutique hotel located in Carmel, California. It has very contemporary decor with a twist. On their listing, the innkeepers call it a "unique fusion of Asian and tropical design which provides an elegant oasis of calm and an intriguing 'zen-like' atmosphere." Below is a photo of the outdoor patio, with a Buddha sculpture and a fire pit. This Diamond Collection inn provides guests with a relaxing place to get away from it all.
11. January 2012 12:44
The following recipe is from Auberge on the Vineyard, a romantic bed and breakfast in Cloverdale, California. It's an ideal home base for exploring the Sonoma and Mendocino wine countries. This is the perfect recipe for your own wine and cheese party!
Prep time: 15 min.
- Whole-round oz. brie
- Peeled, chopped apple
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Coarsely chop apple with food chopper. Combine apple, almonds, cranberries, brown sugar, and cinnamon in small batter bowl; mix gently. Stir in butter just until ingredients are moistened.
2. Cut brie in half horizontally, using utility knife. Place 1/2 of Brie, rind side down, on small baking sheet. Spoon half of the apple mixture onto bottom half of Brie, spreading evenly. Top with remaining half of Brie, rind side up. Spoon remaining apple mixture over top.
3. Bake 12-15 minutes or until cheese is soft and just begins to melt. Serve with toasted French bread, sliced apple wedges, or fancy crackers.
6. January 2012 10:32
Enjoy a great winter deal at 1898 Waverly Inn in Hendersonville, North Carolina. The Diamond Collection B&B is close to The Biltmore Estate, so they are offering a special package to help you explore the famous sight.
With this deal, get two days at The Biltmore Estate, two audio tours of The Biltmore House, and two nights at 1898 Waverly Inn, all for only $299 + tax (total, NOT per night or per person).
Your two-day pass at The Biltmore Estate also allows you access to the Tiffany & Co. Lamp exhibit that has been extended to January 31. This package is valid until 3/31/12.
The inn is also within walking distance to fine restaurants, exceptional shopping, the Mast General Store, and antiquing in the historic district. You must book this special offer by phone at 800-537-8195 or 828-693-9193.
4. January 2012 10:41
Fitch Claremont Vineyard Bed and Breakfast is a Diamond Collection member in Bozrah, Connecticut. It's a four-bedroom inn on the Old Fitch farm vineyard in Mystic country. The inn is only minutes away from Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun casinos. Every room has an ensuite bath and fireplace. Guests are free to explore the acres of vineyards.
This review was left by a guest for a stay in December 2011.
A Wonderful Pre-Christmas Romantic Weekend
"I took my wife to the Fitch Claremont House for a romantic weekend getaway. Nora and Warren, the innkeepers, had their home, including our room, decorated for Christmas and it was absolutely beautiful! We couldn't have asked for more hospitable, friendly folks for our hosts! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and the breakfasts that Nora served were exceptional! The complimentary bottle of wine which Warren makes himself from the vineyards surrounding the property was superb! We went on the Lantern Tour at Mystic Seaport late Saturday evening, and the [innkeepers] were most helpful in recommending multiple places for fine dining in and around Mystic. Overall, this was one of the more positive B&B experiences we have had, and we are already planning on returning next year! I would recommend the Fitch Claremont House to anyone who is planning on spending time in the area."
29. December 2011 16:11
The following photo is of the private porch of the Spring Room at The Craftsman Inn in Calistoga, California. This Wine Country inn is just steps to great spas, wonderful restaurants, and interesting shopping in downtown Calistoga. Many of Napa’s best wineries surround the town, and a short drive will take you to the Sonoma, Russian River, and Alexander Valleys. Bring back a bottle of wine and enjoy it on your private porch.
23. December 2011 00:45
The following recipe comes from Swift House Inn, a Diamond Collection member in Middlebury, Vermont. The 20-room former governor's mansion is a wonderful place for a New England getaway.
Nat's Sour Cream Coffee Cake
: 1+ hour
- 2 sticks of butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup walnuts or pecans chopped
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour bundt pan.
2. Cream the butter and 2 cups of sugar. Add eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Sift in flour, baking powder and salt. Fold mixture together gently until just mixed. Do not overbeat.
3. In a separate bowl mix together nuts, 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon.
4. Pour 1/3 of the batter into bundt pan then sprinkle with 1/2 the nut mixture. Pour in another 1/3 of the batter and top with remaining nut mixture. Finish with the remaining 1/3 of the batter.
5. Bake for 60 minutes. Cool completely before removing. May be wrapped and frozen.