This tasty appetizer recipe comes from Gateways Inn in Lenox, MA. The 12-room inn was originally built as a summer cottage by Harley Procter of Procter & Gamble and lies in the heart of the beautiful Berkshire Hills.
Prep time: 45 min
- Pie or unflavored pizza dough
- Olive oil
Goat cheese spread:
- Goat cheese, softened (8 oz. package)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Dash of salt and white pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large yellow or Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- For the tarts: Preheat oven to 350°F. On a floured surface, roll out pie or pizza dough 1/8-inch thick. Cut dough into 15 (4-inch) circles. Pierce dough randomly with a fork. Brush lightly with olive oil. Bake for 5-7 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven and cool.
- For the goat cheese spread: Combine all spread ingredients.
- For the caramelized onions: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic, salt, pepper and sugar; cook for about 10-15 minutes, until onions are dark brown and sweet. Stir in parsley. Remove from heat and cool.
- To assemble: Spread some goat cheese mixture over each crust. Spread caramelized onions over goat cheese. Bake for 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy.