This hearty breakfast recipe comes from Vintage Inn Bed and Breakfast in Yadkinville, North Carolina. The four-room inn is located in a peaceful area within 30 minutes of over 40 wineries.
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grits
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8x8 glass baking dish.
2. Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil in heavy medium saucepan.
3. Gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to medium; cook until mixture thickens slightly, stirring often, for about 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Add both cheeses and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk milk and eggs in a small bowl, and gradually whisk this mixture into the grits.
5. Pour grits into prepared dish. Bake until grits feel firm to touch in center (grits will still be soft) about 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes and serve.