If you enjoy stunning views, you'll be a happy guest at Um Meia Tres. This boutique hotel in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil is located on the highest street in the historic Santa Teresa district, and it overlooks the city, the water, and the mountains in the distance (the picture to the right is the view from all the bedrooms). Guests can swim in the outdoor pool while enjoying an incredible view of Rio. There's also a good chance that you will see toucans and monkeys in the garden! Bill Moores, innkeeper of the B&B, took the time to answer a few questions for us about this unique property.
1. What do you enjoy most about being an innkeeper?
The guests, the guests, the guests.
2. How long have you been an innkeeper?
For 3 years.
3. What was your inspiration for your creating your inn? Did you have a certain vision for it?
Clean lines; minimal clutter; spend money on the beds, bathrooms and linens.
4. Why did you choose this inn and this city?
We chose Rio de Janeiro because of the fantastic location, people, and atmosphere. The inn we created from a large family home which we had contractors convert over a period of 18 months. We chose Santa Teresa in Rio because of the old cobbled streets, beautiful houses and quality of life.
5. What sets your B&B apart from others?
High pressure showers, service, and a great bar.
6. Why do you think travelers should choose B&Bs over hotels?
7. What makes your town worth visiting—are there any interesting local attractions or activities?
Too much to mention. Huge city (12 million), beach, rain forest, Christ Redeemer, Sugarloaf Mountain, beach, Maracana etc, etc.
8. Do you have any food specialties (for breakfast or otherwise)?
Lots of fresh fruit for which Brazil is famous.