This recipe comes courtesy of The Afton House Inn in Afton, Minnesota. The inn's Wheel Room (pictured below) offers fine dining and serves a full menu of pasta, seafood, steaks, poultry, desserts, and more. Their specialty is tableside cooking; one option is to have their signature Steak Diane flamed with brandy at your table. They also have a more casual dining facility. Most of the inn's 25 rooms feature gas fireplaces and Jacuzzis, and some overlook the Marina and St. Croix River.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 10 oz. New York strip steaks
- 1/2 oz. ground espresso
- 1 oz. black truffles shaved
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 6 each parsnips - cleaned and peeled
- 1 tablespoons cumin - powdered
- 1 bayleaf
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 heads Swiss chard - julienned
- Shallots - sliced
- 1/4 oz. garlic chopped
- 1 oz. white wine
- 1/2 oz. butter - cold
- 2 oz. demi-glaze - fresh
- 2 sprigs thyme - cleaned
- 1/4 oz. clover honey
- Steak: Dust beef with espresso, salt, and pepper. Pan-sear on medium-high heat and finish in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes (for medium).
- Puree: Chop parsnips and saute with cumin, shallots, bay leaf, and garlic. Deglaze with vegetable stock, simmer for 10 minutes, and puree with a hand mixer. Season and finish with butter.
- Swiss chard: Saute swiss chard with shallots and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Deglaze with white wine and finish with butter.
- Glaze: Mix demi-glace, thyme, and honey. Warm to simmer.