The following vegetarian recipe is from Sea-U Guest House in Bathsheba, Barbados. This tropical B&B has spectacular ocean views. There are seven rooms with kitchenettes and one with a full kitchen--and all rooms have ocean views with patios!
The area features miles of sandy beaches, nearby hills perfect for hiking, and natural pools. Andromeda Botanic Gardens, several restaurants, and surfing at Soup Bowl are only a short walk away, and Harrison's Cave, St. Nicholas Abbey, and other attractions are nearby. Meals are served outdoors in their small seaside restaurant; they offer three-course dinners with a local flavor that guests love.
Prep time: 45 mintues
- 850 g eggplants (nearly two pounds)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 tomatos
- 2 oz. coconut milk
1. Cut eggplants in medium thick slices, sprinkle with salt, and let soak for 20 min. Wash off the salt and dry with kitchen paper towels.
2. Fry in enough good olive oil until light brown from both sides. Put them aside on paper towels to dry off some of the oil.
3. Cut onions in rings, fry the onion rings in the same oil until light brown. Add squeezed garlic and tomatoes and cook for 3 min. Add the coconut milk, add salt and pepper to taste. Stir constantly.
4. Put layer of eggplants in an ovenproof dish, cover with the sauce, add another layer eggplants, cover with sauce. Sprinkle with grated coconut.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 30 min. in the oven at around 350 F (180 C).